James H. Logan, who paid $150 for 62.5 acres of land in the Fourth Land District at a sheriff’s sale held in Monroe on November 9, 1842, inspired the city’s name. With the arrival of other settlers, Logan established residence along the route now known as CS Floyd Road in the region formerly known as Buncombe. Although Logan’s stay in the town was brief—he moved on to Pike County in 1850—his name was forever set in stone on June 11, 1851. After William F. Kennedy was reappointed as postmaster, the community of only a few hundred people officially changed its name from Buncombe to Loganville.
In 1887, the state of Georgia issued the first town charter for the community of Loganville, defining its boundaries as a radius of half a mile from the entrance to the Justice of the Peace Courthouse serving the 417th Georgia Military District. C.C. George was chosen as the first mayor, but he resigned before taking office. Dr. J.I. Robinson was officially recognized as the city’s first mayor.
The original land marker for Loganville’s city limits was apparently destroyed in a fire, so in 1905 a new charter was issued to expand the city limits a mile in each direction from the water well that still stands in the center of town. Don’t forget to learn about Winder, Georgia here too.
The first charter for the City of Loganville was signed in 1887, and a railroad branch was established in 1897, both of which marked significant turning points in the city’s development prior to the turn of the twentieth century. It took almost 20 years for the town of about 500 people to persuade a railroad company to establish a railroad linking the community with Lawrenceville, and this effort began long before the charter was granted. The Lawrenceville and Loganville Railroad was funded in part by bonds issued by the city in the amount of $5,000 in October 1897. This amount is equivalent to nearly $138,000 in today’s money. A charter was granted for the landmark development in Loganville on March 30th, 1898.
On January 17, 1932, the railroad stopped operating due to difficulties exacerbated by the Great Depression. The city was then attempting to redefine itself, and cotton was no longer the primary industry.
“Modern commercial structures such as a bank, doctor’s office, American Legion, café, motel, theater, cotton warehouse, gins, and many lovely homes have replaced the older structures. Paved streets, water and sewage systems, power and gas grids, and industrial facilities have all been developed. Churches and schools are the crown jewels that elevate the reputation of any city. What more enduring monument could a man want than to have his name and memory linked with the fate of a town full of educated, cosmopolitan, patriotic, and steadfast residents, the vast majority of whom are united in an unending effort to make (Loganville) a highly desirable location for the home-seeker, the manufacturer, and the enterprising businessman? The future of Loganville is bright, and the town’s continued growth and development will be a lasting tribute to the vision of the man who chose this spot for settlement.”
If you are ever in need of help for metal building construction or fabrication, click here.